General Aviation Joint Steering Committee
Loss of Control Working Group 1
Aircraft Performance and Limitations
Outreach Guidance Document
(2015/12/11-079 (I) PP
This outreach guidance is provided to all FAA and aviation industry groups that are participating in outreach efforts sponsored by the General Aviation Joint Steering Committee (GAJSC). It is important that all outreach on a given topic is coordinated and is free of conflicts. Therefore, all outreach products should be in alignment with the outline and concepts listed below for this topic.
Outreach Month: April 2016
Topic: Aircraft Performance and Limitations (SE 34 Output 2-2)
The FAA and industry will conduct a public education campaign emphasizing best practices in calculating and predicting aircraft performance and in operating within established aircraft limitations.
Investigations of General Aviation Loss of Control Accidents often cite inadequacies in predicting aircraft performance and flight operations conducted outside of established aircraft limitations. The GAJSC feels a substantial reduction in general aviation fatal accidents would result from better prediction of aircraft performance and adherence to aircraft operating limitations.
- Discuss the importance of aircraft performance calculations.
- Show pilots how they can assess their individual performance capabilities.
- Offer suggestions for increased safety in takeoff and landing operations.
- Encourage pilots to explore pilot and aircraft performance with their CFIs.
- Provide high level information on where aircraft limitations come from.
- Encourage operations within established aircraft limitations.
- Aircraft Performance and Limitations Power Point
Available on the National FAASTeam Share Point site under Approved Presentations.