Aircraft Weight and Balance Handbook – Chapter 6 http://bit.ly/WB-handbook
Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge – Chapter 11 http://bit.ly/phak-ch11
General Aviation Joint Steering Committee
Aircraft Performance Calculation
Outreach Guidance Document
This outreach guidance is provided to all FAA and aviation industry groups that are participating in outreach efforts sponsored by the General Aviation Joint Steering Committee (GAJSC). It is important that all outreach on a given topic is coordinated and is free of conflicts. Therefore, all outreach products should be in alignment with the outline and concepts listed below for this topic.
Outreach Month: December 2019
Topic: Aircraft Performance Calculation
The FAA and industry will conduct a public education campaign emphasizing the best practices for determining predicting aircraft performance
The General Aviation Joint Steering Committee (GAJSC) has studied a number of General Aviation accidents that were caused by inaccurate and/or unreasonable expectations with regard to aircraft performance. This short program will refresh GA pilots knowledge of critical aircraft performance parametersd and the importance of accurately predicting aircraft performance – particularly in the takeoff and departure flight phases.
- General aviation accidents continue to be associated with inaccurate or unreasonable expectations with regard to aircraft performance.
- Accidents occurring in the takeoff and initial climb phases of flight are likely to be fatal.
- Accurate prediction of aircraft performance is essential to dealing with power loss – particularly when power is lost during the takeoff and climb phases of flight.
- Aircraft Performance Calculation Power Point
- Pilot’s Handbook of Aerounautical Knowledge (FAA-H-8083-25B)
- Chapter 10 – Weight and Balance
- Chapter 11 – Aircraft Performance
- Airplane Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-3B)
- Chapter 5 – Takeoffs and Departure Climbs
- Chapter 8 - Approaches and Landings