FAA Airplane Flying Handbook - Approaches and Landings (Chap 8): http://go.usa.gov/cKaUJFAA
FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program: www.FAASafety.gov/wings
General Aviation Joint Steering Committee
Best Glide Speed and Distance
Outreach Guidance Document
2015/9/23-076 (I) PP
This outreach guidance is provided to all FAA and aviation industry groups that are participating in outreach efforts sponsored by the General Aviation Joint Steering Committee (GAJSC). It is important that all outreach on a given topic is coordinated and is free of conflicts. Therefore, all outreach products should be in alignment with the outline and concepts listed below for this topic.
Outreach Month: January 2016
Topic: Best Glide Speed and Distance (GAJSC SCF-SE-49)
The FAA and industry will conduct a public education campaign on the benefits of knowledge and training in determining and applying best glide speed in forced landings.
The GAJSC has determined that a significant number of general aviation fatalities could be avoided if pilots were better informed and trained in determining and flying their aircraft at the best glide speed while maneuvering to complete a forced landing.
- Discuss the scope and safety benefits of flying the airplane at best glide speed while maneuvering to a forced landing runway or off airport landing area.
- Acquaint pilots with available resources.
- Encourage pilots to maintain proficiency through frequent forced landing practice.
- Encourage pilots to participate in the WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program.
- General Aviation Power Point
- Available on the National FAASTeam Share Point site under Approved Presentations.